When choosing a Valentine’s Day present, make sure it won’t trigger an allergic reaction!
“Chocolates and flowers are lovely, but not if they cause an allergic response”, Dr James Sublett, president of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) says. He warned “You need to be vigilant when it comes to giving gifts to someone with allergies”.
While most of us know the threat caused by a peanut allergy, many other foods can be equally threatening to some people, such as eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, milk, soy. So when buying gifts - check the ingredients.
If you are planning a meal in a restaurant, call ahead and make sure they can accommodate food allergies and warn them of your loved ones allergies. Ask to review their allergy policy.
Some people have an allergy to perfumes, so avoid buying toiletries as a gift - also don’t wear cologne or perfume yourself!
Many people suffer pollen allergies, so this means they could react to certain types of flowers. Some flowers produce little or no pollen so these can be safer, such as roses and daffodils.
Jewellery is another potential allergy trigger. Many people react to nickel, which is less common than it used to be in jewellery, but could potentially be a risk. Check when buying jewellery if you know your loved one has a nickel sensitivity.
Remember also, if your Valentine has a food allergy, avoid eating that food for 16 to 24 hours before any smooching!